Problem gambling is a serious issue that affects individuals and their loved ones. It means people don’t have control over their gambling addiction leading them to severe consequences such as emotional disorder, anxiety, financial problems and bad relationships. Even this habit can lead them to Face legal issues as well.
It is very difficult to regain control over problematic gambling addiction. To overcome this challenging habit, having strong support is very crucial to them through this journey. In this article we’ll discuss how to overcome this challenging habit and what resources are available.
Problem gambling can have different symptoms, some common signs are having an urge to gamble every time, keep gambling when losing, gambling with the Debt, and hiding gambling activities. Showing irresponsible behavior toward responsibilities. It is very important to recognise the problem gambling symptoms.
There many factors influence problem gambling such as: exposure to gambling platforms, environment and genetic predisposition. Problem gambling is not all about losing money, it also includes emotional disorder, relationship problems and depression.
It is crucial to recognize the problem gambling and deal with it in early stages. There are many support programs available to help problem gamblers.
For immediate assistance for problem gamblers Helplines and crisis hotlines are available. Counseling and psychotherapy help individuals to recognise the problems and causes and help them to through effective mitigating strategies.
People who are struggling to overcome problem gambling and habit feel ashamed don’t try to get help from the support program due fear of being judged. But they need to understand that this is not a personal failure, it’s a medical condition.
There are many social groups available to support problem gamblers, in these groups people share their experiences and help each other through their journey.
Online forums are available to help problem gamblers. People can get help to overcome their gambling addiction through their consultation services. One these platforms you can get consultation about financial stability, therapies
Many organizations are providing services to help problems gamblers for their wellbeing such as:
- National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG): The NCPG is a renowned organization that offers assistance, resources, and support to people with gambling problems and their families. Their website provides useful details on the warning indications of problem gambling, available treatments, and contacts for regional helplines and support groups.
- Gamblers Anonymous (GA): GA is a group of people who have struggled with and recovered from gambling addiction. They offer assistance by holding regular gatherings where people may share their experiences, find inspiration, and get advice on the road to recovery.
- Gam-Anon: Gam-Anon is a support group designed specifically for the family members and loved ones of problem gamblers. It offers a safe space for sharing experiences, seeking guidance, and finding solace among others who understand the challenges faced by those affected by problem gambling.
- GamCare: Gam-Anon is a support organization created exclusively for loved ones and families of problem gamblers. It provides a secure setting for exchanging stories, getting advice, and getting comfort from those who are aware of the difficulties faced by those who are afflicted by problem gambling.
In addition to these national and international organizations, various online resources and websites can provide valuable information and assistance:
- NCPG website: For problem gamblers, the NCPG website acts as a comprehensive information centre. It provides details on problem gambling, available therapies, and helpful advice for healing. Links to nearby helplines and support services are also provided on the website.
- Gambling Therapy: Gambling Therapy is an online platform that offers support to problem gamblers and their families. It provides a variety of services, including live chat counseling, a forum for peer support, and self-help tools.
- BeGambleAware: BeGambleAware is a UK-based charity that aims to educate and raise awareness about responsible gambling. Their website offers information about the risks associated with gambling, self-assessment tests, and links to support services.
- Gambling Help Online: Gambling Help Online is an Australian service that provides 24/7 support and assistance for problem gamblers. Their website offers live chat counseling, self-help resources, and a directory of local support services.
Local resources can also be invaluable in providing support and assistance to problem gamblers:
- State or provincial problem gambling helplines: Many regions have dedicated helplines supporting and connecting problem gamblers with local resources and treatment options. These helplines are often staffed by trained professionals who can offer guidance and information.
- Local counseling centers and treatment facilities: Local counseling centers and treatment facilities specialize in providing therapy and support for problem gamblers. They offer individual counseling sessions, group therapy, and treatment programs tailored to the specific needs of each individual.
- Community organizations and support groups: Community organizations, such as religious institutions or community centers, may host support groups or provide additional resources for problem gamblers. These groups offer a sense of belonging and understanding, facilitating recovery.
There are numerous methods for assisting problem gamblers in beating their addiction. Discovering alternate activities is one strategy. going on excursions while spending time with friends and family. Create productive habits and make an effort to avoid the gambling environment and those that partake in it.
Getting therapy is another option. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) assists people in recognising their gambling tendencies and modifying the behaviour linked to problem gambling.
Many people get benefits from motivational interviews and also they can use a self help program to overcome this habit. Family therapy can also help individuals to alter their behavior towards gambling with their support.
People also get help from the social groups by sharing experiences encouraged with each other to recover from gambling habits through insights. By joining these groups you can work on your well-being with out get professional help.
Problem Gambling has many negative impacts on individual life such as: health issues, anxiety, depression, financial losses. Problem Gambling is not only impacting individuals it also has effects on their loved ones life too. But it is very important to understand that problem gambling is a medical condition and you don’t need to fear of being judged.
Recognizing this habit and getting help to overcome it in early stages is very important. Seeking help from support network’s programs getting therapies and or with help of a self help program, individuals can get out of this habit and make healthy future .